Wednesday, April 25, 2007

she is dangerous!

Some nights ago I have told my opponents at a BBO table that my partner is one of the best female players in Romania (after she left our table, so it wasn't a flattery). They weren't so impressed.

Yesterday, she proved it! It was a 10 boards match between friends, all Romanian experts/advanced. When the last board hit the table, we're 8 IMPs behind, so both me and my partner felt the impulse to do something. I have opened 1NT (natural, 15-17) and left hand opponent doubled, showing a 5minor-4major two-suiter. With
AKJT85
♥ K5
♦ 5
♣ AQ74
she announced an undeterred 7♠. You need some temper to think about this bid and even more to make it at the table. The result was also influenced by my eccentric choice of opening:













East/ALL
♠ 6
♥ T964
♦ 98762
♣ T82




EastSouthWestNorth
1NT (!) DBL* 7♠ (!!!) all pass

♠ AKJT85
♥ K5
♦ 5
♣ AQ74

♠ Q3
♥ AQ8732
♦ Q4
♣ K95

♠ 9742
♥ J
♦ AKJT3
♣ J63


What happened then? North led a club, trying to (mis)guess partner's minor and 7♠ was an easy make (by working on hearts). At the other table, a more normal and unsuccessful bidding landed in 6
♥, down one (lead ♦ A and then you loose one more trump).

Call me a result merchant, but +20 IMPs is such a pleasing way to finish a match ;-) Thank you partner!





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home